Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Second day

Wednesday May 26, 2010
John had an appointment with a couple of young men coming in from the US to work on a video they are creating regarding life in Haiti following the Event (as everyone calls the earthquake). I accompanied John into Pétionville – to meet with these young men. He was to meet them in a hotel, but they were not there when we arrived. He wasn’t sure what happened, but we waited for them. John was on his cell phone and email, connections. Finally he heard from them, and they were to be at another restaurant near-by. So we traveled over to the restaurant … only to discover, after a couple other phone calls he learned that they were trying to get new cell phones (cell phones we use in the US do not work here) only to be caught up in some administrative detail. John made arrangements with them to connect next week.

I accompanied John into Pétionville to give me some more time with him, and also to experience more of the aftermath of the quake. They were also doing major reconstruction at the hotel. Workmen everywhere: welders, carpenters, masons, concrete workers, painters, and others patching the cracks in the floor.
Haiti is a paradox to me. It is as confusing as ever. With the massive amount of $ flowing into Haiti from so many sources: government, religious institutions, non-profits, etc. – there seems to be a hyperactive spirit at work. It feels like chaos to me.

Esther just sent me this quote from Howard Zinn – and it goes along with what I am experiencing in Haiti and the book I am reading by Howard Zinn.

“To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something.

“If we remember those times and places–and there are so many–where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.”

John, Merline, and the children left the house at 1:30 pm to catch a flight to Vero Beach, FL. The children we excited about going back to their other home in Vero Beach.

At about the time they left, a large group of people had gathered in their driveway, which is a shared driveway with their neighbors, to get their share of resources sent by MCC for the people of Haiti. There were at least 150 souls waiting, mostly patiently. I went over to see them, and in the midst of the group was Madam Blonc. She is the mainstay of the family that I stayed with on a previous trip, when I unsuccessfully tried to learn Kreole. It was wonderful to see her, especially because I had planned to walk up the hill to their home that afternoon. After gathering my stuff (water, camera, phone, etc.) we set out for the climb up the hill. I knew it was a steep and long climb, but it somehow got steeper and longer since my last visit in 2002 or 03. I made it, but was hot and sweaty once I arrived.

I was able to visit the people in the lacou (neighborhood), and remembered their faces and most of their names. It was great to reconnect … and I plan to return for another visit while in Haiti. I also toured their homes to see the damage the earthquake had caused. Nothing major, like down in Pétionville or PauP.

I am back at John and Merline’s home for the evening. Nixon Blanc will come tomorrow morning at 9:30 to cart me around the city to see more of the damage and what is currently being done to restore Haiti. It promises to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment